IRS tax returns are due in only a few days and this means that it's crunch time! If you haven't done your taxes this year, don't despair, the last week before taxes are due is often the best time to save money on tax software.We've rounded up all of the deals going on right now in 2018 from the major tax software companies such as TurboTax, TaxAct, H&R Block & more.
Top Tax Preparation Software Deals
TaxAct Deals: Coupon Codes & Discounts
There is no bigger deal this year for tax software than TaxAct. Not only are they one of the lowest cost products on the market, but thanks to an exclusive deal with Everlance, if yousubscribe to Everlance ($5/mo) the #1 automatic mileage & expense tracker, you will save 50% off of TaxAct!Here's a look at how much you could be saving on TaxAct if you choose to do your taxes right now.
- Free: The 1040EZ is the simplest tax form you can use to file your taxes. If your taxable income is less than $100k, you don’t claim any dependents and you file as single or are married filing jointly, then you may be eligible to file Form 1040EZ.
- Basic ($7.47): If you have dependents, retirement income or college expenses then the TaxAct Basic plan is the cheapest option for you. Regular pricing on the basic plan is $14.95, so $7.47 is an amazing deal. If you're filing state taxes it's an extra $8.50. Did you know that TurboTax's Deluxe Plan, their basic plan, is $59.99! This is a huge savings.
- Plus ($19.97): If you own a home and are itemizing deductions or claiming investment income he TaxAct Plus plan might be the plan for you. Regularly $39.95, you can get it for less than $20 if you use Everlance. State taxes are an additional $19.99.
- Freelancer ($29.97): The TaxAct Freelancer plan is for those that are self-employed or independent-contractors. Regularly $59.97. State Taxes are an additional $19.99.
- Premium ($34.97): The TaxAct Premium plan is geared towards all types of tax filers. Why the increase in price? TaxAct offers Audit Defense, which means that you’ll be able to take advantage of their comprehensive response and resolution strategies and assistance with tax relief, denied credits, fraud & correspondence with IRS and State on your behalf.State Taxes are an additional $19.99.For $34.97 (regularly $69.97) the TaxAct Premium plan is a serious deal. TurboTax charges up to $180 for a similar service!
TurboTax Deals: Coupon Codes & Discounts
While we recommend TaxAct to all of our customers, many people are more familiar with TurboTax and looking for discounts on their product. It's no wonder, TurboTax is very expensive, especially when compared to TaxAct.If you take a look at the current TurboTax plans you can see just how much it costs to buy TurboTax for 1 year (remember, you have to buy this software every yearto do taxes for the previous tax year!)
These prices are no joke! When you compare them to TaxAct it's pretty hard to justify spending $59.99 on their basic plan (not including state taxes) when you can pay $7.47 through TaxAct!That being said, some of you are going to be familiar with TurboTax and don't mind spending the extra money, especially when you can get a discount. Well, today you're in luck because with a little digging we managed to find a discount on all of the major TurboTax products.TurboTax Home & Business (Fed + State + eFile):(Which is the Self-Employed plan pictured above): Instead of paying $120 you can pay $74.86.TurboTax Deluxe(Fed + eFile): Don't want to pay $59.99? Go through this link and you can get it for $34.86! That's a $15.13 immediate savings.TurboTax Deluxe + State(Fed + State + eFile): This is an even better deal for those of you that are filing state taxes as well as Federal. Instead of paying $59.99 + State ($19.99) you can buy this product for $44.86. Of course, you could just buy TaxAct's basic plan for $7.47 + $19.99 for state for $27.46 and save some real money, but this is definitely a deal if you want to use TurboTax.TurboTax Premier (Fed + State + eFile): While this deal isn't as drastic of a savings as some of the other TurboTax plans, you can still purchase TurboTax Premier for $64.86, vs. $89.99 full retail. If you want the benefits of the premier plan you can save about $15 on it right now. Or you could purchase a similar plan from TaxAct for $54.96(Fed + State).That's about it for TurboTax discounts. Deals like this are pretty hard to find and if you're looking in 2019, or 2020, these deals may be gone, or better, but you can be assured that we'll be on the lookout for the best ones to share with Everlance users!
H&R Block: Coupon Codes & Discounts
Not just a strip mall walk-in tax preparation service, H&R Block is also available online. However, you should be warned - H&R Block is not competing for chump change. They have some pretty expensive products, products that even using the discounts we found couldn't make them much more appealing.Here, see what we mean.
Sure, there's a free plan, all of the companies offer this if you're just filing a 1040EZ, and if you look at the rest of the plans $32.49, $45.49 and $61.74 they don't look absurdly expensive, right?Did you check out what state taxes are? That's right, tack on another $29.99 - $39.99 per product! Ouch!With TaxAct's basic plan at $7.47 (+$19.99 state), TurboTax's Deluxe plan at $34.86 (+$19.99/state) and H&R Block's Deluxe plan at $32.49 (+$39.99 state) - it's clear that both TurboTax & H&R Block are trying to squeeze the most money out of each customer as possible.It may or may not be hard to believe, considering H&R Block has such a large retail presence, but they're actually more expensive than TurboTax if you add state!
The best deal you can possibly get on tax software is through TaxAct. There's just no comparison. The TurboTax deals may expire at any moment, or not be offered in 2019 & beyond. H&R Block will continue to be at the very top tier of pricing. TaxAct however, especially for Everlance customers, is almost - dare we say; dirt cheap.We wouldn't steer you wrong, here. TaxAct is a class act. Fantastic tax software and a crackin' deal right now. While we're not going to tell you to avoid the other companies, because they have great products as well, for those of you frugal (and very smart Everlance customers) you'll find the largest savings using TaxAct.Speaking of savings.Everlance customers save an average of $6,500 per year tracking their mileage& expenses. Everlance works silently in the background to automatically track your business mileage and if you upgrade to Everlance Premium ($5/mo) you have the option to add your bank account to automatically track expenses as well.With Everlance you can take snapshots of all of your receipts, manually or automatically add expenses such as tolls, parking, food, .etc and at the end of the year, or whenever you want, you can export your data and import it directly into tax software (we recommend TaxAct!) or hand it off to your tax preparer!Learn More about the Standard Mileage Rates:
Everlance is so simple to use it. Setup is instant. You only need to download the app (available for iOS & Android) and then signup. You have 7 days to try all of our premium features for free and if you don't need all of those features, Everlance is free for 30 rides per month.If you're interested in saving money on tax software, you should be super interested in saving money on taxes. Everlance & TaxAct are the perfect combinations for that.